Saturday, August 27, 2011

Great Deal while Preparing for Hurricane Irene

Today as I prepared for Hurricane Irene, I found that thanks to couponing I had most things in my house already. The one thing I was most in need of was AA and AAA batteries. Mainly because my kids have too many battery operated toys that they actually use. My flashlights have batteries but I wanted to be safe.

I pulled out this weeks ads because I have a half photographic memory. I can remember I saw something but can't remember the exact place; thus, I knew I had seen batteries in one of the ads. Lucky for me, it was at CVS. Lucky because it was the first ad I pulled and also because it is right at the corner of my street.

So, Duracell coppertop batteries were 2/$6.00. They were 4-packs. I needed to buy 4 packs to be safe (2 AA and 2 AAA). I had a coupon for $1.00 of one pack (yes, this is one of those times where I wished I had more than one coupon). But that's OK, because with tax, the total came to $11.84.

Now I know you are all thinking that this is not a deal at all. Especially when Saveology has a deal of 40 AA for $12. As I was on my way to the cash register I remembered my $10 CVS gift card that I bought for $5 a few weeks ago. I immediately used it and paid just $1.84.

So if you factor in the cost of the gist card, in an emergency I bought 16 batteries (two different sizes) for $6.84. That sounds like a good deal to me. Usually when you have to buy something in an emergency you end up paying full price. Was this the best saving ever? No, but it was the best saving given my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment